Saturday, June 06, 2009

D-Day

A brief tribute to D-Day and the greatest generation.
This picture is the favorite of their children.
Nelson & Mary Howarth, in California, in late 1943.
He is about to ship out for combat duty in the Pacific.
She will go home to care for three kids, all under seven.
Since they married during the Depression,
This time together was their only honeymoon.
Their generation made so many sacrifices
So that we and others would live and prosper.
On this day of tribute, we salute them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beauty your Mom was in 1943 as well as in 2009. I fell off my chair when I recognized your dad as the Mayor of the city...in 1959 a very special time when Springfield was re-building the old capitol and installing new city lights and the urban renewal.
Sad to know of your loss and please accept my deepest sympathy.
Yvonne Smith Beveridge

Anonymous said...

Will,

This is a beautiful picture. You can't even see the anxiety both of them must have felt, except that your father just can't take his eyes off of his lovely wife. Both were heroes.

Barbara

Nancy said...

The wonderful picture of your parents reminded me I hadn't written to you following the appearance of your mother's obit in the sj-r. It was a lovely obit and reminded me of the '50s and your parents, who were certainly 'front and center' those days.

When I think of your mother, I always think of her smiling for some reason. With the crew she had at home, she couldn't have been smiling all the time!

Will Howarth said...

Nancy,

You are too right. Especially with ME in that crew!

Whenever I made an error in life, my mother said, "Well, that's what erasers are for."

I think she was relieved when I moved on to word processors.

Will