Saturday, June 10, 2006

Dale Jeffers

Messages from Jim Herron and Judy Vicars Van Hagen report sad and belated news: our '58 classmate, Dale Jeffers, died on July 26, 2005. The last address we have for him was Winter Springs, Florida. Cause of death is presently unknown. Dale's brother, Lyle Jeffers, is currently in Springfield to attend a memorial service for Dale.

In the absence of an obituary, I compiled this outline of Dale's life from the notes he sent over the years for our Reunion booklets. In Springfield, he attended Harvard Park School. After SHS he attended Bradley University and then entered the Air Force. During his service in Germany, Japan and Korea, he earned credits from the University of Maryland and later completed a degree in industrial management at the Milwaukee School of Engineering.

He married Christine Jeffers and they lived in Milwaukee, where he worked in management for Allis Chalmers. They had two sons, Mark and Paul. By 1988 they had moved to Bradenton, Florida, where Dale worked for Siemens Power Corporation. In 1993 Dale reported himself as single; Mark and Paul were then 21 and 18. In 1994 Siemens transferred Dale back to Milwaukee. He attended our 40th reunion in 1998. By 2003 he had returned to Winter Springs, Florida. The last e-mail I had from him was in 2004.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will,

When I wrote the date of Dale's death on the back of my business card, I am sure I wrote 6-26-05. Actually Dale died on 7-26-05. Sorry for the mistake.

You have a great website! Keep up the good work.

Lyle Jeffers

Will Howarth said...

Lyle,

Thanks for writing. I will correct the date in the entry above. I hope you will let Mark and Paul know that many of their Dad's friends at SHS and HPS remember him fondly.

If an obituary is available, would you please send me a copy? The e-mail address is the envelope icon, next to the comment link.

Will

Anonymous said...

It's sad to know that my HPS and SHS buddy Dale Jeffers has passed away. Everytime I think of of Dale, I recall my Mother telling me that when she took me to Kindergarten on my 1st day, that I was crying when she left and Dale came up and put his arm around me and said, "don't worry Tommy, I'm here for you!" What fond childhood memories! --Tom Downs