Saturday, September 02, 2006

Swimming


Sorry to be missing of late, but I've spent a lot of time in the water. This summer I rediscovered swimming. It happened because a neighbor was away for several months, and she asked me to "watch over" her pool. That meant I could swim there any time, so in the hot days of July I got in the habit of going over afternoons or nights for a dip.

Swimming can get monotonous, so to stay alert I started counting laps. First I did 10, then 20, and before long I reached 50 laps, or a half-mile. Every visit to the pool, I swam a half mile, which dropped from 90 to 70 minutes and seems stuck right there.

I'm not setting any speed limits, and with chronic reflux I have to swim breast or back stroke rather than the crawl. But that's OK, because the crawl always bored me, which is why I lost interest in swimming long ago. How long ago and where did I start? At the old YMCA, on 7th Street? At Memorial Pool on North 9th? In Lake Springfield? (Do you remember?)

Now that summer is past, I continue to swim at a nearby fitness center. That pool is much longer and only 36 laps make a half-mile. The first time up and down those long lanes was a effort, but after a while it got to feel normal.

The water temp this morning was 81 degrees. Outside it was rainy and raw, as Storm Ernesto blew by. I'll go there several times a week from now until next July, when my neighbor's pool may once more beckon.

My point: if you don't like the way you look or feel, try swimming. The Mayo Clinic says it's the best exercise for people over 65, regardless of our condition. It strenghtens joints and muscles, burns fat, tones up flab, and improves cardio and brain function. It's not the Fountain of Youth.....but remember those swimming scenes in Cocoon?

If you want to learn more, visit the US Masters Swimming page, which has information on the benefits of swimming for seniors. And in 2008 I'll see you at Lake Springfield, rain or shine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WB you little tadpole YOU. Wow are you courageous...and brave for donning swim wear and exercising those frog legs... Just kidding.


Of course we all missed you ! Not to mention that each morning we look to see what's new what's happening on your BLOG.

Glad Ernesto passed you by...we expect John to bring some raindrops to our southland today or tomorrow.
Have a safe and happy Holiday...don't drink and drive as the life you save might be mine.

Bob's Wife

Anonymous said...

Hi Will,

You've gotten so cute! Oh sorry, that's an otter. Well I'm sure you're cute too, Will.

I'm green with envy at your easy access to a pool. The nearest one to us is 25 miles away and I'd love to swim for my arthritis (and my weight) but that's just too far when gas is so high. Guess I'll just have to keep running up and down our stairs. NOT!

Barbara Edmiston Mitchell

Will Howarth said...

My otter friend thanks you, ladies, for your compliments.

Barbara, I thought you folks up in the Appalachians had ponds and streams to splash in. Dave should build you a lap pool and some kind of solar or wood-fired heating system. That would keep him busy!

I never thought living in suburban NJ was fortunate, but I guess the proximity of a pool makes it so. Thanks for reminding me to count my blessings.