Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Jack Leckel



1958 English teachers: Mary Sue Dilliard, John L. Leckel, Muriel Eastham, and Mary Virginia Lamson.

One of my favorite teachers at SHS was Jack Leckel. He taught speech and drama at SHS in 1956-58, directing "Antigone," "The Skin of Our Teeth," and "Gold in the Hills." Later I saw him at the U. of I, where he was a graduate student in drama. He wrote and directed his own play, "Blue is the Antecdent of It," and judged the annual Stunt Show.

For a while he tried professional theatre in New York, and later moved to Chicago, where he had a long career training and evaluating teachers in the public school system. Along the way he wrote TV scripts and then cookbooks, all focusing on Illinois food, land, and history. You may still buy copies online; look for "John L. Leckel" as the author's name.



A few years ago, Jack retired to his home town of Collinsville, IL, where one of his childhood friends was Mary Sue Dilliard. There he has been active in historic restoration and in writing online reviews of drama books.

I no longer have Jack's e-mail, but Google gives his mail address and phone. When I corresponded with him, he was delighted to know that members of our class remember him.

On this Thanksgiving Eve, I'd like to thank Jack for bringing his lively, creative imagination into our lives. Day after tomorrow, I will try his recipe for turkey tetrazzini, in The Legendary Illinois Cookbook, page 219.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack was an innovative instructor many years ahead of his time. His narrow ties were inspirational & I acquired several a few years later when I was in Spain. I hope Jack reads this, he owes me a black derby hat, size 7 1/4. In 57/58 he commissioned me to paint a picture for him in Ms Lawrence's art class. Upon completion he agreed to pay me with a derby hat. When Jack left Springfield High in his gorgeous black 57' Chevy, he had the top down to accommodate the huge painting, a painting of orange turbulence. Hey, Mr. Leckel, where's my derby; you're late on your payment by 48 years! ..... you were the greatest.

Gordon Jones, class of 58'

Will Howarth said...

Gordon,

I'm glad we are going to tell a few Jack stories. You never knew what to expect in his class. He had us give speeches, and his comments were inspirational. One day he told us that our names in his grade book gave him vivid images of our characters. Then he went around the room, creating flamboyant, improvised images of us. I don't remember anyone else, but I was a tent and in front of the entrance was a sign: "Revival Tonight!" And here I am years later, teaching and blogging!

Will

Anonymous said...

2 quick stories: At the beginning of one semester Jack had each of us stand up and introduce ourselves. Our announcement was recorded. On the last day of the semester he played back the introductory tape and oh what laughs we had. (I had introduced myself as "Daddy Bird"! .... and don't ask me why because it was impulse.)

Being a fellow Delphic, you might recall that at the end of each year we put on the Delphic Amateur Show in the Springfield High auditorium. In our senior year Jack was our faculty organizer/advisor. And although the Harmony Boys were not considered amateurs (we played at least 4 nights a week for $)Jack invited the band in as the final act. The band consisted of Ben Harmony, Charlie Harmony (our classmate of 58'), Ray Dipple on lead guitar, and myself on drums. Anyway, Jack had all of us up on sparkling silver blocks with a spot light on each of us; it was quite a glitzey professional production. Of course we were strickly rock n' roll and Charlie had every move in the book! Unfortunately, when we were rehearsing the principal, Mr Fury, happened to stop in. Yep, on the spot that was the end of our band on the high school premises. He considered us too lewd! The Harmony Boys Band did, however, play for Springfield High students later on out at the Oaken Knolles Park Pavillion. I'm sure Charlie Harmony remembers the details more vividly than I.

G

Anonymous said...

Sending you a scanned photo of Charlie and Ben Harmony.
Charlie was a good friend and in Greta's Art Class with me.

Jack was such a cutie pie of a teacher and all the girls went gaga over him...including Jacque Lebeau.

Back to Charlie H. what a sweet heart and kind soul. Just to say the band was WILD would be a travesty.

Will Howarth said...

Gordon,

Thanks for chipping in with stories about Jack Leckel. You have made me a member of Delphics, and I'm honored, but the truth is that neither the Ds or the Wranglers would have me. I was in Pill Rollers instead, a sort of all-city group that held meetings but never did much else.

Will

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes, fond memories of speech classes with Mr. Leckel and our Sr. Class play was so much fun too. He did indeed push the envelope for his time and was Mr. Cool with all of the girls. Please pass along our best wishes and thanks for the momories, Will.

Tom

Anonymous said...

wow, I remember the lines to get in to a tavern across the street by fairgrounds just to hear Harmony brothers. I remember the applause for wipeout for sure.