Monday, April 06, 2009

Cub Scouts


Last night I received an e-mail titled "Hi Billy!" No one has called me that for 50 years, so I figured it was from a sister. No, it's from my 91-year-old Cub Scout den mother, Virginia Newell.


Since I imagine few of our vintage have a den mother who writes e-mails, I'll pay her tribute and also remember a great organization for boys. (The picture above is from June, 1950)

Virginia is the mother of Bob Newell '58. She lives today in Rockford, Illinois, still able to drive and live independently. Bob tells me that "Ginny" owes her vigor to much hiking and biking in her later years.

The Cubs operate in packs and dens for boys aged 7 to 11. Our den met often at the Newell home, where both parents set up projects to keep us engaged and non-destructive: tie racks, wood-burnings, and other crafts. I vividly recall building a crystal-radio set under Mr. Newell's supervision. Outmoded technology, but I used it in 1951-52 to track city and national elections.

Later my mother, Mary Howarth, held den meetings at our house. She specialized in taking us on trips. We visited Sangamon Dairy, Ray's Chilli and Chips, and the City Jail. I believe she was trying to help us avoid delinquency. (At 95, she may still have that hope.)

I can't remember all the boys in our den: Bob Newell, John Stone, Bill Ice...and then my list runs out. Perhaps others can fill in the blanks with a comment or two?

3 comments:

Bob Newell said...

Well, there was John Harrison and Jack Morrison. I think our Scout den leader, whatever that was called, maybe Den Chief was Joel Gresham. And maybe Mike Stephenson was in this ourfit too.
Bob Newell

Will Howarth said...

Bob,

Thanks! I'll wait for more names and then revise that last paragraph. Maybe Charlie Hartman, too?

Was your Dad's first name Robert?

Will

Unknown said...

Hi Will,
I think that Steve Dilts and Charlie Hartman were also part of that distinguished group,
Bill Ice