Sunday, November 19, 2006

Frost on the Punkin


Hi Will,

I have enjoyed looking at the grade school pictures that classmates sent in to the blog. One of my most lasting memories of Dubois grade school is when our teacher, Miss Florence Davis, read to us every fall (we had her for 6th, 7th and 8th grade) the poem by James Whitcomb Riley, "When the Frost is on the Punkin." She always read it to us after the first hard frost.

For years now, when we have the first frost, I call Carolyn Quinlan and say, "The frost is on the punkin and the corn is in the shock", remembering those words read to us by Miss Davis. Well, I never remembered the rest of the poem, so yesterday I looked it up online and read it several times, and I just loved it. It so describes fall here in the Midwest--and probably in many other areas of the country, too, but James Whitcomb Riley was from Indiana, so I think he was depicting the Midwest.

Judy Vicars Van Hagen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judy,
Thanks for sharing such a lovely memory with us along with the link to the poetry site.
I so enjoy reading about classmates and traditions from the GOOD OLD DAYS and the midwest.
Living was easy and friends were abundant. We find solice in memories of them when others share so genrously.

Thanks,

Bob's Wife