Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day

The second Sunday in May is Mother's Day in 35 countries, from Australia to Venezuela, so let's take a moment to salute every mom, wife, sister, and girl friend on the planet. To the Ladies, bless 'em, and thanks for putting up with the species known as Guys.

The mother I know best is Mary Watson Howarth, seen on the left with her first great-grandchild, Shannon Isabel Howarth. This year, Shannon turns 2 and Mary is 92. She lives in Nashville, TN near my sister, Lydia, and Mom has few complaints other than the "funny accents" people speak in that region.

In her lifetime Mary raised five children, ran five mayoral campaigns, and by her estimate, cooked and served a few hundred thousand meals. She also ran several businesses, including my Dad's law office, and she can still give astute advice about real estate and relationships.

To celebrate your own Mom, please make a comment below or send me a picture with a few lines of information. Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother, Dorothy McBride Edmiston, drove me crazy, probably because we were too much alike, but toward the end of her life we became very close. Too late I realized that she didn't have an easy life but endured with great strength. I had under-estimated her and now I miss her every day. I also miss terribly my mother-in-law, Mary Ellen Mitchell of Springvale, ME, who was a real hoot. She was absolutely the best mother-in-law ever; an amazing feat.

Barbara Edmiston Mitchell

Anonymous said...

Bill, thanks for sharing little Shannon & your mother. How blessed we were to have such great role models...think our mothers' generation are the last of a rare group...they taught us by example of what is truly important in life. Truly examples of "real ladies!" How lucky we all are! Janet B. Johnson

Anonymous said...

Bill,
I think that Janet hit the nail on the head of our Mom's generation being the last of some real role models teaching by example. We were not just lucky, but very blessed. Happy belated Mom's Day to all of our lady classmates!
Tom Downs