Sunday, March 11, 2007

Burgoo

A year ago, we had a spirited discussion of "chilli" and now I'll tell you about another Midwest comfort food: burgoo, a spicy meat stew that takes three days to prepare and a week to digest.

Burgoo possibly arose from French or Irish pioneers, known to favor "beef burgundy" or "Mulligan stew" in cold weather.

The recipe:
  • roast all available meat (pork, beef, squirrel, rabbit, road kill)
  • add baskets of vegetables (corn, carrots, taters, peas, okra)
  • mix in savory spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic, onion, pepper)
  • stew the mess in giant kettles, stirring slowly and constantly
Toward the end, add a thickening agent (wheat, cornmeal, ground beans) until the mixture holds a spoon upright in a bowl.

I attended burgoo dinners with my Dad, during his campaigns. The folks at those gatherings were mostly from Kentucky and Missouri. Owensboro, Kentucky, puts on a big Burgoo Days Festival in September, but so does Arenzville, Illinois, only 45 miles west of Springfield.

OK, let's hear from you: did you ever eat burgoo? Where and when?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can´t say that I have. Not sure that ... well, not sure about it. Certainly have heard of it. :-)

Stone Soup? Now that´s a tasty treat. I do believe that anyone with kids in grade school must have at least heard of Stone Soup.

Lee

Anonymous said...

by my 5th Greatgarndfather Francis. I have been to the town for the Burgoo fest and to vist the graves of my relatives.

Burgoo is very soupy and when we tried it we found it to be overcooked hash. Not like the Den Chilli of my childhood memories.

Don Arenz

Will Howarth said...

Hi Don,

And thanks for writing. When I found that story about Arenzville, I wondered if the town was connected to your family. What's the story?

Also, I've lost your e-mail address. Can you drop me a line?

Will

Anonymous said...

Arenzville was named after Francis Arenz who was born in Prussia and migrated to America in 1827. He settled in Arenzville in 1839 and the town was named after him in 1852. He died April 3, 1856. He had owned a mill on the Indian Creek and was successful in the mercatile business. He had a bit of a scoundal in him when guns he sold to the state troops in the Blackhawk War were found to be rusted and of no use. It was good that no shots were fired.

He was a ardent whig and served in the General Assembly of 1844. In 1852 Lincoln wrote to president Filmore to recomend an appointment for Francis to the American Legations in Berlin and Vienna.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone at the reunion. My wife and are off for two weeks in France in June (Paris,Lyon, and Avignon). Any tips?

Don Arenz
darenz219@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Will--I was only "around" burgoo one time in my life, & that was in about 1985 when I went out to Berlin, IL, to run a 5K race; the locals there were having a burgoo fest & our race was incorporated into that event. I never did get the courage to try it, but my husband did (he'd try anything). He didn't seem to have much of an aversian to it, but I had a problem of wondering just what all they did put in it. The thought of road kill in there was a real turn-off for me. Suzi

Will Howarth said...

Don:

My only tip is have a great time, and don't drink the water, drink the wine! Or the beer, which is also quite good. My memories of France are 1961. I hope to get back there soon.

Suzi:

That line about road-kill was just me, making a joke. But I'm not sure what they add out in Arenzville!

Will

Anonymous said...

I recall some burgoo in childhood days and it seems that it is somewhat similar to the Southern slow cooked "Brunswick Stew", which is cooked diferently by different folks, but some of it is excellent. It seems that the secret is not only some of the ingredients, but the slow cooking and constantly stirring (with big wooden paddles often).

Tom Downs

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.