Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Big Snow

A blizzard slammed into Springfield on Feb 13-14, and the accumulations of over 12 inches make this storm the biggest since 1914, or 93 years ago.

I've had reports from '58s who say they have power and food, so other than clearing driveways and walks, this storm is mainly one to admire.

The Springfield Journal-Register site has excellent coverage, plus a video and picture gallery. I have not been able to locate any pictures yet, so if any of you have them, please send me copies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave and I are digging out from about 16" of blowing, drifting snow this morning so we can relate. Impossible to tell exactly how much but the weather people say 16" so I'll go with that. Now, though, the sun is out and it's really beautiful out here in the country.

Barbara (Edmiston) Mitchell

Will Howarth said...

Hi Barbara,

Good luck with that digging! My part of NJ got off easy, with just a few inches and mostly sleet/rain. But a year ago in February we had 19 inches and I've seen snows as deep as 23 inches here. Proximity to the coast brings a lot more moisture into the region. Still, over 12 inches is very deep for Illinois. Time to get out the toboggans!

Will